Monday, July 15, 2013

CELEBRATION


Who’s glowing now?

Darkness falls
Night deepens
It envelopes me
I see nothing
Shadows whisper
Evil words
I tremble
Whispers become louder
Fag
Slut
Sex maniac
Devil
They pierce my ears
Pierce my soul
I beg them to stop
I run
Into the arms of darkness
Where?
I don’t know
They follow
My eyes tear up
Heart weeps
Is it my fault?
They scream yes
I yell no
A light twinkles
No I scream again
The light twinkles again
This is how I was born
This is who I am
Darkness thins
Twinkles hover over me
I stop
Turn back
They accuse me no more
I smile
I love me
And you can’t stop me
From being myself
From loving myself
From celebrating my sexuality
Twinkles become fireflies
They sit on my skin
Look, I ask
Who’s glowing now?

poem by inderjit nagi

Celebration is a queer-themed series about celebrating your existence into the body you’re born in. It’s about loving yourself for who you are and accepting yourself for what you are.

The usage of male form with a string of lights, garlands, bracelets or fabric adorning it depicts the mood of celebration, seen extensively during festivals. Akin to places of worship decorated on auspicious occasions, the body being one’s temple is adorned with various celebratory elements, ready to embrace its true self.


My photographs are about celebrating our own existence into this body and hereafter irrespective of who we are and what we are.

The usage of male form is conscious that need to convey the hidden trait of it. The string of lights glowing across the body, very similarly to the city or place decked up with string of lights, like the strings of glowing jasmine, for the upcoming festival, resemble the worship of our body as a temple. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror!

In much of Indian cinema, horror as a genre has been reduced to camp, over the top, either too costumy or showing nudity, bad acting and ner...